Day 6 at Las Cruces Biological Field Station

This was a much need free day. Most of the students went into town. I opted to hike the remaining trails on the Reserva which we hadn't yet ventured to for our field study. After breakfast I made my way down to the Rio Java and again up the Ridge trail, then turned off on the Wilson Trail, and looped back around via the Gamboa. I heard far more animals hiking on my own than in a group. It was great to find some peace and solitude in the forest. I had been feeling drained from being in such a large group for over a week now.
I hiked over a rise on trail and startled a white-faced coati (a medium sized arboreal mammal) and found myself right in between the mother and her cub. She issued alarm calls for several minutes, directign her cub to safety I presume, and I was able to film the cub come down from its tree and quickly climb another tree closer to the mother. I watched the spectacle for about 10 minutes. It was great.
I made it to the top of the Gamboa and headed back down the ridge trail, noticing that it had been severely damaged since yesterday by hoofed animals. I finally came upon the culprits in the Rio Java-about 6 escaped cows from a nearby ranch. They were really damaging the pristine trails and mucking up the river. I notified the station when I returned.
I spent the rest of my free day, relaxing, reading, playing ukulele, did another hike to the waterfall where I bathed (in my birthday suit), ate a nice dinner in peace and quiet, then did another night hike. I finished my evening by stargazing atop the Observation Tower.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 8 at Las Cruces Biological Field Station